Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Confrontation

Confrontation, I hate it. I will do almost anything to avoid it. At times would could even say I can be passive aggressive. I know this is not the best way of dealing with all things, and I am trying not to do it as much anymore.  Some things are small enough and not that important, that it doesn’t really matter if I ignore it because the problem will eventually go away. I have two jobs right now, one here at Nixon Insurance and at Bradley University in the parking department.  Now everyone knows that when dealing with the public, you are going to have times when there is confrontation and it cannot just be shoved aside.  I have learned a lot from both of these jobs about how to deal with a customer who is upset. Here are some tips I have found that really help me when these problems arise:
1.       Listen
a.       It’s very important to let the customer get everything out that they need to. Who knows maybe it’s a small problem that has an easy fix. I’ve had people call me at Bradley and tell me they are not trying to take their anger out on me but they just need to vent. That’s perfectly fine with me, I know the person is not directly trying to be angry with me, they just need an outlet. By listening, you get a chance to understand where the customer is coming from.
2.       Understand
a.       Going off of listening, understanding the customer and why they are reacting the way they are important. Remember, the customer expects you to be able to answer most if not all their questions and if you can’t that can become very frustrating. Do not get frustrated with them, because this could only make things worse. Just stay calm and try to see things from their point of view.
3.       Get Help
a.       For the most part at Bradley, I can answer the customer’s questions and give them the answer they may or may not be looking for. Here at Nixon, I usually am not able to do so I have to find someone who can. It will make the customer feel as though you are really trying to help them and not blowing them off. It also shows you take them seriously and really want to help them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment