Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oh How Things Can Change

Jenny's Blog

The homecoming excitement has died down, and now its time to get serious again. So, what’s more serious than insurance? Well, according to many people my age, not too much. Out of sheer curiosity, I took it upon myself this weekend to ask a few of my peers what they think when they hear “insurance.” The typical answer: boring, expensive, death, (and on a lighter note) something you just have to deal with throughout your life, or a necessity that gives people piece of mind. If you ask me, insurance is just something that most people my age (which is 21, by the way) don’t know very much about. How do I know this? Aside from the more entertaining answers already mentioned, most said they just didn’t know enough to comment.
Before I started my internship at Nixon, I was pretty much in the same boat. I mean, I knew some of the basics- insuring a 16 year old must be a parent’s worst nightmare and simultaneously insuring their older son and his motorcycle surely kept them up at night- that’s enough right? Okay, okay, so I definitely didn’t know much. Insurance wasn’t something I personally had to deal with, it was just always there. It was there when my brother ended up in the ER, his motorcycle in pieces, or when my father’s low blood sugar caused him to pass out at the wheel and hit a ditch.
Like me, many people my age can probably come up with times when insurance was a safety net for the unexpected, we just don’t know too much about the technicalities. Therefore, I look forward to continuing my internship with Nixon, learning as much as I can, and sharing my experiences via our social media. I also look forward to sharing what I learn with you in this weekly blog, bear with me though, it’s only my second month! By the way, my name is Jenny, and I’m a senior at Bradley University. J

 
Brooke's Blog

Insurance, the look on most people’s faces when they hear that word is a look of torture. Hey I’m not going to lie I did the same thing and only thought of horror stories I had heard about insurance. I’m Brooke, a Business Management & Administration major at Bradley University.  Since May 2012, I have been an intern at Nixon Insurance and let me tell you my perspective on insurance no longer has thoughts of horror attached to it. The old saying never judge a book by its cover really comes into play here. After just listening to our agents talk about insurance really let me understand what insurance is all about.  
It takes more than just one day to fully understand insurance and how it works. I’ve been here for almost 6 months and I still don’t understand everything.  Contrary to what most people think, insurance companies and agents do not want to take as much money as possible from their customers. Nixon Insurance is here to serve you, the customer, and to make things easier. Yes, insurance is an ever evolving industry and can be unpredictable. We as the agent do our best to make things easy to understand and help with any transitions the customer have to go through.  
In reality, insurance is always going to be here. You can’t even drive a car legally, without it, and I feel the more people understand it the less threathend they will feel by it. If you have questions call your agent, ask questions, or come into the office the door is always open. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question and our agents will do their best to answer the questions. Our goal here at Nixon Insurance, is to show you that we really care about you and are not just the middle man. We want to know when you have concerns and want to be able to help you understand what is going on.
As an intern, my journey is just beginning and  I cannot wait to see where I will go from here. Until next time everyone have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment