Friday, February 22, 2013

Constructive Arguments

        This semester, I am taking a Argumentative Writing class. Basically for the whole semester each class, a person gives an oral presentation about something they are interested in and then another person gives the entire class a paper that wrote about an argumentative subject. Each class we discuss both the paper and the presentation. The classroom is set up in a circle so it's easier to talk to people and it makes the class feel less formal when it is set up that way. The conversation in the class flows quiet smoothly and people are able to express their opinions as freely as they wish. It's very interesting to listen to what other people have to say and how they view things differently than I do. Even though the class is called Argumentative Writing, there are never really an arguments per say, it's more of people just expressing their different views to each other and listening to others saying why they do or do not agree. Sometimes you can feel the tension rise when two people have views that are strongly different and do not agree with each other at all. When this happens, the professor makes them stop and really listen to each other but then the conversation must turn away from being tense to more open minded.
         Personally, classes with discussion like this are much more interesting to me than ones where you just sit for the whole hour and listen to the professor lecture non-stop. I feel I get more out of the class because I am listening to more than just one opinion from someone who can be quiet older than me and already views things in a certain way. Whereas the majority of college students are my age and might be more likely to have different opinions and views and they might have a way of talking that is easier for me to understand than the professor. My main point of this whole thing, is that different opinions and arguments can be good. People need to go in with open minds and remember that the argument should be constructive not destructive. It's good to have differences of opinions and arguments, I believe we need them to keep learning and maybe even change the way you view something. There always those people who's mind will never be changed and will defend what they believe till the end. I'll admit it there are some things you cannot convince me to change my mind about no matter what you say, but I do try to keep an open mind when listening to others.
         So the next time you are have an argument or differences of opinion with someone, try to keep an open mind and get something out of the argument. Find a way to make the outcome a positive one and be willing to listen to what they have to say even if you do not agree with it.


Brooke Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment